Thursday, April 4, 2013

Paleo Baking for Brownie 101

Recently, I made the decision to follow the "Paleo" Diet---which basically means avoiding processed food and ALL grains.  It also means avoiding dairy, but I haven't quite made that transition yet.

As a baker, I have to have baked goods....it's in my DNA.  And thanks to lovely ingredients such as almond flour and coconut oil, there are so many things you can bake and still follow the Paleo lifestyle.

My friend, Kate, sent me this chocolate chip cookie recipe and I couldn't wait to get started.  Thanks, Kate!! 

Ingredients (Listed below)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Ingredients:

Combine:
3 1/4 cups of almond flour (Clark uses Trader Joe's)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda 
3 tablespoons coconut flour  (reduce to 2 tbsp if you're not crazy for coconut)

In large bowl, combine:

2 eggs
1 teaspoonful vanilla
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey, pure maple syrup, or agave nectar (I used honey.)

1 tsp stevia extract powder (Increase to 1/2 cup honey if skipping the stevia)

Combine wet and dry ingredients, then stir in 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips or chunks. The darker the more Paleo they are.   I used 85% cacao and it was delicious!!





Spoon on to cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and put into oven.   I used a cookie scoop and then flattened each cookie with my palm.  Recipe makes 24 cookies. Bake 8-10 minutes.  The tops will start to get golden brown.  If they go longer than that the bottoms burn because of the sugar in the honey.  Cool completely.  





They aren't the prettiest cookies you've ever seen, but you'll NEVER miss the wheat and sugar.  They are absolutely delicious.  And the chocolate is so rich, you only need one to satisfy your craving.

Happy Baking!!!
Love
Brownie


1 comment: